Tuesday, December 17, 2013

We Battle Not Against Flesh and Blood - Thoughts From Dad

 Do you ever feel overwhelmed?  Do you ever have a sense that the world is collapsing upon you?  Do you sometimes think that it is better just to give up and quit because life is too hard, and the road ahead is too difficult?
 We all have times in our lives when we feel this way.  We really feel we don't have the strength to go on.  All seems dark and we feel trapped.  Certain circumstances usually dictate this feeling -- such as financial troubles, death of a loved one, a bad decision, sickness or disease, a difficult marriage, friends that turn on us, with troubles at work or ungodly rulers.

Often we try to overcome our problems in our own power.  We struggle, fret, and complain.  Ultimately, we can feel completely helpless and hopeless.  We are defeated.


However, this is not God's way.  He wants us to put on spiritual eyes and walk by faith.  We need to realize that Satan wants to shut us down -- and shut us up.  He does not want us to be a witness to others about our Savior Jesus Christ.  He does not want us to be godly fathers and mothers and disciples for Jesus Christ.  Satan wants us to be whiners, complainers, angry people, and quitters.  He wants our marriages to break up, to become estranged from our children, escape from our difficulties, and shrink from doing hard things.


But we have to remember to put on the eyes of faith and we need to see that “we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against hosts of wickedness in heavenly places. Ephesians 6:10–12. We need to realize that we have to put our armor on and battle the devil, who tries to thwart us from the way which we would go.


As Ephesians 6 says in verse 10 “put on the whole armor of God that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil."


Yelling in the Night.


God has help me become a spiritual warrior.  Never before have I been so aware of the spiritual battle around me.  Two reasons: one as I struggle more with multiple sclerosis and feel greater weakness and helplessness, Satan tries to take advantage of me.  Secondly, as I have victory over the disease and continue to share the gospel one-on-one, and speak and write God's truth before thousands of people each year, Satan's attack intensifies.


For example, in some of my weakest moments when I can't move a single body part,  I start to yell loudly for a few minutes. That is all I can do. I just sit there and scream repeatedly, "I can't take it anymore!" I ask desperately to go home to heaven. I feel like I'm going crazy. Either the pain is too great, or the helplessness too overwhelming.


For example, the other day, I felt so terrible and I just wanted to give in and quit. My mind was so dark.  It was as if a cloud hung over me. Usually when these episodes of despair hit me, it takes a few minutes, but God finally reminds me to do spiritual battle.


At that point, I cry out to God quoting scripture and say "in Jesus name. I resist the devil and he must flee from me!" Within minutes, as I declare His Word, the darkness leaves me. Every time I feel as if a burden has been lifted off my shoulders. A “peace that passes understanding” flows over me. Once again my mind focuses on Jesus Christ, and once again His grace is sufficient, and His way of escape is provided, so that I can continue to fulfill his calling.


James 4:7 states, "Therefore submit to God.  Resist the devil and he will flee from you."


And I Peter 5829 declares "resist him, steadfast in the faith, knowing that the same sufferings are experienced by your brotherhood in the world."  Oftentimes in these moments of despair, I began to wrestle in the spiritual world against the devil.  I kick him, punch him, and order him to leave.  And he does every time!  And I know that sometimes it isn't the devil personally, but one of his demons -- nonetheless, the battle is against evil is real and intense.


 Trip to the Ohio Homeschool Conference -- Almost Thwarted by Satan.


I was excited to speak at the Christian Home Educators of Ohio conference in June of 2009. I had decided that it was close enough to drive – according to Map Quest, only six hours to Columbus from my home in Virginia. I chose Bethany, my 20-year-old and Susanna, my 14 year old to accompany me in order to assist me. I figured this would be last opportunity to take a trip with Bethany before she was married in August.


As we set out, we prayed for God's blessing and protection asking for His angels to surround us.  I was well aware of Satan’s possible attempt to stop us from doing the Lord’s work. In Ohio, I had my Ephesians 6 “full armor” on, however, as I spiritually put on “the helmet of salvation---” I knew I was going to heaven and nothing would change that fact. I was wearing the “breast plate of righteousness and my “loins gird with truth” so that I wouldn't listen to Satan's lies and would stand on the promises of God.  My “feet were shod with the preparation of the gospel” as I was ready with tracts to witness to those we met along the way


Car Breaks Down


After four hours, we stopped at a gas station.  And Bethany and I switched places so I could continue the drive.  When I turned the key, the car would not start.  I figured it must be the battery.  I told Bethany and Susannah to look for a man who earlier had come up to us offering us assistance.  As my girls were helping me get into the car behind the driver's seat.  They found him in the nearby restaurant. He was eager to help.  When he heard me turn the key, he said that it was not the battery.  However, I insisted it was and asked him if he could get some jumper cables.  He returned to the restaurant and found someone who pulled up their truck next my van and jumped it. The car started right up!


The first gentleman told me where a store was at the next exit -- since it was around seven o'clock and we were concerned it would not be opened and that we would not be able to continue our trip.  However, God gave me perfect peace, and I assured the girls that He would take care of us.  Satan just wanted to thwart our trip because he knew I was planning to point people to Jesus in my seven talks that I was scheduled to give at the Ohio conference.


Be sober, be vigilant, because your adversary, the devil, walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour.

-1 Peter 5:8

We got to the store just in time. Bethany came out with a young man with a battery installation kit who installed a new battery.  When I started the car, I yelled out the window "Praise the Lord!"  The young man smiled broadly. I thanked him profusely, and Bethany gave him a tract and told him how to get to heaven.


Late Night Traffic Jam!


But our troubles were just starting.  As I took an exit to get from one freeway to another freeway, we ran into a traffic jam.  It was not just a few minutes -- we're stuck in traffic over an hour!  Now we're about three hours off schedule.


A Massive Rain Downpour


After we got through that mess, more trouble began.  The skies opened up a tremendous downpour of rain.  It was so bad that I could only see about 20 feet ahead of me on the freeway.  Cars were pulling over all over ahead of us.  I kept on about a half hour, driving extremely slow in the pouring rain, I cried out in exasperation, "Lord stop this rain!"  It was as if we turned off a faucet!  The rain stopped, and we are able to continue again at normal speed.


Wrong Turn!


We finally made it to Columbus, and I was careful not to veer off as the freeway split repeatedly.  It was almost midnight and we are only two exits away, when suddenly I was in the wrong lane heading off in a different direction on a different freeway!  I took the next exit, but did not know how to get back to the original freeway.  So I pulled over on the shoulder.  Within minutes, a police officer with his lights blinking pulled over next to us. Susanna slid down in her seat.  I told her to roll down the window and he said.  "Can I help you?"


I told him we were lost, and he asked me for the address of the hotel, which he plugged into his GBS.  We followed his directions, and we made it safely there by about 12:30 a.m..  I figured God had sent us an “angel” to guide us to our destination!


We ran into a clerk at the hotel who knew Lord and took me aside and prayed for my healing-- after I inquired if he was a Christian. When we got back to the room, I looked at the program for the conference and notice that I did not speak till 10:30 a.m..

I announce the fact to the girls and we were all happy that we could sleep in after such a long and difficult journey. We prayed together, thanking God for His mercies.

Overslept!


The next morning we got up late to a phone call on my cell from my wife, who had water pouring in the ceiling of our master bedroom.  I talked to her for a while, as I calmly tried to counsel her on a course of action regarding the air conditioning unit on the top floor that was overflowing.  Meanwhile another phone call came in on the hotel phone.  Susannah answered and told them we would be there at the conference at 10:30 p.m. I hung up with my wife and asked Susanne about the call and she said that the person had indicated that I was supposed to be there at 9:00 AM.  It was already 10 till 9:00!.


I quickly called the host, Gayle Back, of the conference and learned that might my keynote address was at 9:00 AM and there were about 2000 people waiting for me. She sounded sad but was trying to be positive. I asked her how far away we were from the conference and she indicated about "10 minutes." I asked her how long they could hold them off and she said until about 9:15. I told her I would be there--somehow.


I told the girls and cried out to God asking for His mercy and strength.


For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war according to the flesh, for the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty in God for pulling down strongholds. 2 Corinthians 10:3-4.


My girls got me dressed in record time and into the car, which I drove quickly to the convention center, where Gayle was nervously waiting for me. I got into my scooter and followed them into the building, through the back way and up the huge freight elevator to the back of the stage, I drove up behind the podium and stood up---the impromptu time of worship and singing by my good friend Steve Demme and a volunteer piano player quickly ended.


Incredibly, God gave me the strength to stand during the next hour and deliver His words in a powerful way.


All I could think is that the devil tried to shut me up but God would not let him.  I went on to speak for six more times in His name that weekend. Many people came up to me and told me how that talk touched them and how the Spirit convicted them. They also testified how wonderful the unplanned time of worship was---they were glad I was late!


These stories illustrate how Satan will try in many ways to defeat and silence us. We need to be aware and not take the threat lightly. We MUST DO BATTLE EVERYDAY always crying out to God for grace, strength, wisdom and protection.


We must hold on to the promise, “And the God of peace will crush Satan under your feet shortly. Romans 16:20.


We can’t lose with God! Even if you are afflicted with a horrible disease like MS, God is bigger and He will enable you to fulfill His calling on your life.


Go boldly forth, brothers and sisters, each day, no matter what obstacle you face and always remember, “He has delivered us from the power of darkness and translated us into the kingdom of the Son of His love.” Colossians 1:15.

-Chris Klicka - November 23, 2008


All text © 2013 From the Ashes| All Images © 2013  From the Ashes

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting!