Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Blessed is the Man Who Endures Trial - Thoughts From Dad

Sometimes hardship and difficulty comes upon us and we don't understand exactly why. 

We know that God is in control and sovereign over all things. We know that all things work together for good for those who love God.  We know we can do all things through Christ who strengthens us.

But sometimes it still doesn't make all a lot of sense!

Nonetheless, God tells us, "My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials," James 1: 2.

This sounds like the old adage, “Grin and bear it.” Is that all it is? God just wants us to get used to it?

For instance, here are two difficult situations I found myself in---above the normal daily struggles to live with this dread disease.

Burning on the Hot Asphalt!

When I was in the midst of my homeschool conference season—just ministered in CA at the CHEA convention and in New Mexico at the CAPE-NM conference, my scooter throttle began to malfunction. So I brought it into the scooter repair shop.

My son, Jesse and I had first stopped at the chiropractor---even though it was hot outside, I felt good. However on the way to scooter repair place, I decided to let Jesse drive for driving practice.  We got there and dropped off the scooter, which was going to be ready for us within the hour. We decided to go across the way and eat some lunch.  When we returned Jesse kept the car running and went inside to get the scooter.

I leaned back on the passenger side to sleep and woke up 45 minutes later to a car that was totally hot and the heat paralyzed me.

I finally was able to raise my arm enough to start laying on the horn.  Jesse came out in a few minutes but I was wiped out totally----my joints were in great pain, I could barely talk and my head was throbbing.

It was so hard to understand what God was doing---I could only lay there and try to not sin with my lips. 
Even though I felt horrible, I  kept saying, “God you give and take away. Blessed be the name of the Lord!” In those times all one can do is simply trust Him.

Little did I know, the ordeal was not over-----not by a longshot!

During the drive home, I barely recovered from being paralyzed from the heat.  So when we got home, Jesse swung my legs out a car and I stood up.  Unfortunately, my legs gave out and I fell down to the ground in a squat.  My knees do not bend all the way naturally so the pain was excruciating.  As I screamed squatting in a full squat with my backend on the ground, my pain was causing my mind to almost black out.

I screamed to Jesse to yank my legs out from under me so he could extend them to relieve the horrible pain in my knees. My upper body was wedged in the lower part of the door-------but now I fell back onto the scorching black asphalt in the 100°+ heat outside. 

As I laid out on the hot black asphalt of our driveway, my shirt had come up so my bareback was sizzling on the asphalt!  I cried out to my Lord for mercy  and yelled to Jesse to get help.  He went inside and my wife and a couple children came and lifted me on to the scooter. I was so weak I couldn't even drive the scooter in the house. My son John who is 10 years old drove in with me and it.

 They drove me to the bed where I told them to lift me up and lay me on ice packs--------I prayed, “Have mercy on  me oh Son of David! Within 15 minutes I was mostly recovered and went to my office and  began to work---within 2days I was flying to OK City to minister in His name to 2800 people------all on Holy Spirit power!

Why?

Remember the verse above? My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials,"-----what else does it say. God tells us why these trials happen in verses 3-4, 12 of James 1. "knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience. But let patience have it's perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing."

"BLESSED IS THE MAN WHO ENDURES TRIAL; FOR WHEN HE HAS BEEN PROVED, HE WILL RECEIVE THE CROWN OF LIFE WHICH THE LORD HAS PROMISED TO THOSE WHO LOVE HIM."

God is telling us when we go through these trials----it is not in vain. He has purpose—it is a test. Is our faith real? Or do we only have joy when everything is going our way-----when we see God’s goodness?

Can we walk through these times by faith and not by sight? Do we really believe God’s promise in Romans 8; 28 “All things work together for good for those who love God and are called according to His purpose?”

Through the hard times,  He is producing in us patience-----and this supernaturally created patience WILL MAKE U S COMPLETE, lacking in nothing!  

Wow! That means if we love and trust Him and never give up during these various trials-----we will have everything!

 God our loving Daddy is proving our faith!

.
A Mini-tornado and Computer Crash

After a 6 day ministry packed trip to Wisconsin------did a 1 hour live, national radio talk show, 3 days speaking at WI CHEA homeschool convention, preaching sermon at Grace Community Church, brings 3 of my children, and staying with my parents-----I came home to 100 degree weather!

As I was swimming and exercising in my Endless Pool, I saw the sky suddenly darken---within moments a microburst came down our street, ripping out trees in the front yard and siding off of our house. The downpour was extraordinary.

Then the power went out-a huge tree pulled down a major power line-- I could no longer swim against the current.  I had  Jesse help me out of the pool.

As I stayed in the house, it got warmer and warmer after 8 hours of no power. I was getting weaker and weaker from the heat. It was getting dark, and my wife was still gone. I had five kids , our tropical fish were in danger of dying--- so I made a decision to get a reservation in nearby hotel after other hotels I'd called said that they were all filled up from others in the same predicament.

So the five children loaded me up, some bags, and our fish in my van and I checked into a Hampton Inn down the road…… all in one room.  Then I could get air conditioning and avoid becoming completely be paralyzed.

We had a special opportunity to share the Gospel with the hotel clerk! And we had a great time of devotions in our room------some heaven sent moments!

Then the battles had begun for me again. As I tried to sleep through the night I woke up five times they go to the bathroom.  Each time I had to swing off the high bed onto the ground never knowing how I would land----I repeatedly hurt myself as I twisted my body---- my son Jesse got me back in bed each time.

All I could say was, “Not my will but Thine be done-----and maybe God was just giving me some exercise at night.

The next morning my wife came to the hotel, and we met with the pastor------I felt strong     

 --ALL GOD----HIS GRACE WAS SUFFICIENT ONCE AGAIN.

Afterward Tracy left for Richmond for our state Virginia HEAV conference to prepare for her homeschool choir that was going to perform.  I returned home only to find out that although the power was back--- I had lost my computer’s hard drive in the in the storm.  Even though it was turned off and I had a surge protector, a lightning bolt must've landed nearby and went right through the plug frying m computer. Now I had lost all my personal things like my poems, my articles, my personal injury case files, by wills that I had written for other people over the years, and many other items turned out to be unrecoverable------I had no back up!

Why? What purpose -------isn’t MS bad enough?
But God said to me from His Word again in I Corinthians, “We do not lose heart. Though our outward man is perishing, our inward man is being renewed day by day. This momentary light affliction is NOTHING compared to the glory that awaits us! What we do see is temporal and what we do not see is ETERNAL. ”

"BLESSED IS THE MAN WHO ENDURES TRIAL; FOR WHEN HE HAS BEEN PROVED, HE WILL RECEIVE THE CROWN OF LIFE WHICH THE LORD HAS PROMISED TO THOSE WHO LOVE HIM."

I resolved again to love my Savior and never give up----and endure the trials-----for a crown of life awaits me in glory!

I then drove down to Richmond with the kids the next day and was able to share God’s power and comfort with many homeschool leaders, individual homeschoolers, candidates for office etc.  I told each person of the marvelous works God performed in me how through his strength I could do anything
I was able to participate the next night in my daughter Megan's graduation from high school! God showed me once again He could use this weak vessel and blessing me with being able to share a special time with my daughter!

Praise God-----His loving kindness is better than life!

Chris Klicka
July 20, 2008




All text © 2013 From the Ashes| All Images © 2013  From the Ashes

3 comments:

  1. Thanks, sweetheart, for honoring and loving your dad, and for sharing this story. He sure pointed to the sufficiency of God's grace again and again in his life, didn't he?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for reminding us all what an amazing family you were born into... and how blessed we are because of them. ((HUGS)) Tracy and family

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing! I needed that. Some great reminders from your dad in the midst of his pain. Keep writing & keep sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!