Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Happy Birthday Dad - Remembering Chris Klicka

My Children, Don’t Feel Sorry For Me 


I long to hike a thousand trails
And have the strength in these feeble knees.
I yearn to run, jump, and climb

But my father ordained this disease.



I wish I could play basketball with you
And take my sweetheart to a dance.
I would love to carry heavy things again
Or climb on rocks, taking a chance.




Oh, how I miss kicking a ball across the field
And running hard around a track.
I wish I could just roll over in bed!
I so want to turn the clock back.



Yet don’t feel sorry for me!
Listen to what God’s let me do.
God has always been good to me,
With eagles wings I flew.



Sure my hands and legs are now weak
But for 40 years they worked well
I even played most every sport
And lifted 205 1bs. well.



Please don’t feel sorry for me!
I pitched many winning games.
I was a center and running back
And fired many guns with a steady aim.



I crawled through dark, dangerous caverns,
Backpacked the Appalachian Trail.
I repelled cliffs backwards and forwards,
All my muscles worked without fail.



My children, do not feel sorry for me!
God has let me do so much.
I was strong once like all of you,
I wrestled and tumbled and such.



For 20 years, I planted and grew gardens,
I painted whole houses until done.
I did carpentry, landscaping, and mechanics
And asphalted lots in the burning sun



Don’t ever feel sorry for me!
For I am blessed beyond belief.
God has used me to build His kingdom
When I cried out, He gave relief.



He has given me the very best wife.
A great job and cause that is rare.
Seven wonderful loving children,
And thousands who lift me in prayer.



Hey, don’t feel sorry for me! 
Mom and I have traveled thousands of miles. 
Across South Africa, Europe, and Japan 
Speaking on home schooling all the while. 



We have been on safaris and windjammer ships 
Locomotives and planes of all kinds. 
I have driven ski dos, snowmobiles, and speed boats 
And any scooter, cycle, and bike I’d find. 



Really don’t feel sorry for me! 
When I fight to walk or fall hard to the ground 
I’ve already lived a whole life in years 
Used by God to help thousands the world around. 



I’ve journeyed to all 50 states 
Visiting oceans, mountains, and dessert lands.
I’ve seen wildlife, battlefields, and big cities, 
And touched ages of history with my hand. 

I have argued before 3 supreme Courts 
Testified before many legislatures and boards.
Influenced Congress to change laws for good 
And witnessed to thousands about our Lord. 



Oh yes, don’t feel sorry for me! 
Because I don’t eat fast foods or treats.
In youth, I enjoyed hundreds of donuts, 
And tasted most every snack or sweet. 



I ate cheese and sausages by the pound 
And hot dogs and hamburgers a lot.
I drank milk, sodas, and shakes too 
And had much ice cream and many a brat. 



Just don’t feel sorry for me! 
Even though I sometimes complain.
I admit life is so very hard 
But God is with me through the pain. 



I am saved by the blood of the Lamb 
He has prepared a perfect place for me
This is truly “Momentary light affliction,” 
Nothing compared to life in eternity. 



Please, please don’t feel sorry for me 
God has given me countless blessings.
He faithfully carries me through the deep waters 
He makes my spirit soar on eagles wings. 



Just don’t let this disease be in vain for you 
Keep holding on to your Father God tight.
God has ordained my MS lessons for all of you 
To teach you to love and obey Him with all your might. 



Oh, try not to feel too sorry for your daddy! 
Though my body functions slowly die
My soul is forever safe; I will be alright 
Yet it hurts my heart and I may sometimes cry. 




I want more than anything else you can do 
To faithfully honor your mom with love
Help her, obey her, and bless her always
She is a precious gift from your Father above.  




And submit to God and resist the devil--he'll flee 
Draw near to God and He will draw near to you.
Love Him and keep His commandments 
Honor Him and God will honor you. 




Endure and you will reign with Him 
Deny God and He will deny you
When we are faithless, He is still faithful 

His grace is sufficient to carry you through 



But I will fight the good fight and keep the faith 
With a scooter, running the race to win
Keeping my eyes fixed on Jesus Christ, 

Until I am free from this body of sin. 



Marantha! Lord quickly come! 
“I have no greater joy than this; to hear of my children walking in 
The truth!” III John 4 


Happy Birthday Daddy, I miss you.



All text © 2013 From the Ashes| All Images © 2013  From the Ashes

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting!