Thursday, January 9, 2014

Failure Does not Define Who I am.

Self esteem is something I have to constantly battle each and everyday. A simple or tiny mistake and I am calling my self a failure. However, those "failures" I have in my life do not define who I am as a person. Instead I should be taking those mistakes to help better shape the person I am becoming. 

In an article I was reading today from my school newsletter, a professor summed up the answer to the question, “How can I stay positive when I've had a lot of failures?” perfectly in just a couple paragraphs.
 Thomas Edison once said with regard to his attempts to build a light bulb, “I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.”
 Each time you try something new in your life, there is the possibility that you may not succeed at it in the ways you’d initially expected. We tend to perceive something as a “failure” when the end result of our actions doesn't meet the expectations that we (or someone else) had. But even if the outcome isn't’t what we may have aimed for, it doesn't mean the effort was a waste or that we’re failures. 
Trying many new endeavors is an important element of life, and doing so takes courage and patience. It might help you to reconsider how you define success. One definition I like is, “The ability to embrace failure.” I encourage you to see every aspect of your college experience as an opportunity to learn something new about yourself and the world around you. This means being able and willing to see that having missteps or making mistakes is essential to your growth as a person. A failure is an opportunity —the teacher, if you will—to discover something new and extraordinary about yourself. 
 Mistakes are also good for helping you learn how to do things differently, as well as what you really enjoy.
Like Edison, here’s another way to think about them: “Negative results are just as valuable as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don’t.” 

Are you struggling with feeling like a failure? Looking at your life and seeing just one big mistake? 

You are not alone; I have struggled and continue to struggle with these feelings each and everyday. It is a constant fight against the flesh and against Satan who seeks to destroy us. Yet we are more than conquerors, and with Christ on our side we can take a stand and fight these everyday battles.

"Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his might. Put on the whole armor of God that you may be able to stand against the schemes of the devil.  For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places. Therefore take up the whole armor of God that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand firm." -Ephesians 6:10-13

So let us stand firm, fight our sinful flesh and Satan's lies, taking every thought captive. We are Christ's children and He is our wonderful creator who made us in His image. We are not failures, we are His!

Below are some ideas to help you keep mistakes in perspective:
  • Spend time with family and friends who embrace their mistakes. 
  • Stay engaged in projects that you enjoy, even if they’re challenging. 
  • Think about people you admire who've come back strong after missteps. 
  • Celebrate the wonderful life God has given you! 
  • Devote some time to helping someone else.
  • Think about what you've learned as a result of setbacks. 


What are some way you help keep mistakes in perspective in your life?


All text © 2013 From the Ashes| All Images © 2013  From the Ashes

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting!